Payment & Appeals Information

Payment Information


Payment can be made via the following options:

  1. In Person at the Hobart Business Office Monday – Friday 8 am – 5 pm: 2990 South Pine Tree Road – cash, check, money order, and credit cards are accepted

  2. Mail payment to Hobart/Lawrence Municipal Court, 2990 South Pine Tree Road, Hobart, WI 54155

  3. Online at – please have your citation number and the pay location code 5492 available

  4. By Phone through Government Payment EXP at 1-888-604-7888 – please have your citation number and the pay location code 5492 available


Payment Plans and Extensions are available. Please contact the court clerk BEFORE your due date to discuss eligibility and terms. 


If you fail to make a payment, any of the following may occur:

  • Suspension of your driver’s license

  • Debt is sent to the Department of Revenue for Tax Intercept

  • Issuance of a Warrant/Writ of Commitment for your arrest/incarceration

  • SDC (Pursuant to Sec. 71.93(8) Wis. Stats.: If the debt is not paid in full within 90 days of the date of this letter, the amount may be referred to a Department of Revenue agent for collection action.  A delinquent collection fee of 15% of the unpaid balance or $35.00, whichever is greater, will be added to your account.  Collection action may include one or all of the following, some of which result in additional fees being added to your account: interception of your Wisconsin tax refunds, attachment of wages or other compensation being paid to your, garnishment, seizure or levy against your property, including bank accounts and IRAs, filing a delinquent tax warrant with the Clerk of Courts in the county in which you reside and/or own property.  This warrant will act as a judgment and lien on any real and personal property that you own and may affect your credit rating.)


Payment Information for Department of Revenue

If your debt has been referred to the DOR for State Debt Collection, you must send payment to them via the following options:



Telephone: (608) 264-0345


Pay Online:

  • Go to


Pay by Mail with Check or Money Order:

  • Make check payable to WI Department of Revenue

  • Write your tax account number in the memo portion of your check (please print clearly)

  • Mail a copy of your SDC letter with payment to:

WI Department of Revenue

PO Box 930208

Milwaukee, WI 53293-0208


What Happens If I Can’t Pay?


Request a payment plan by phone, email, or mail:

PO Box 8901, Madison WI 53708-8901


Request a payment plan online:

  • Go to

  • Select ‘Request a Payment Plan’



Appeals Information


You may appeal a decision of the Municipal Judge to the Brown County Circuit Court.  You must follow the proper statutory procedures and requirements to start an appeal (listed below). The village of Hobart Municipal Court CANNOT extend the time for filing the necessary documents and fees to begin the appeal process.

Types of Appeals:

  1. Transcript Review: In this form of appeal, a written transcript of the testimony will be produced. You will have to pay the estimated costs for producing the transcript within 20 days of being informed of those costs. If the actual costs exceed the estimated costs, you will also be responsible for the difference. The transcript, and all other evidence that was presented during the trial will be sent for review by a Circuit Court Judge. Unless the Circuit Judge determines that the Municipal Judge’s finding of facts were clearly erroneous or that an error of law was made, the decision will not be reversed. Please note that if the Municipal Attorney requests a New Trial (#2) within twenty (20) days of your request for a Transcript Review, that request will take precedence and there will be no transcript review.

  2. New Trial before Judge Without a Jury: In this form of appeal, a fully new trial will be held at the Dane County Courthouse. Each side may present any relevant evidence and witnesses, even if the witnesses or evidence were not presented at the Municipal Court trial. The Circuit Court Judge decides whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty based only on the evidence that is introduced at the new trial.

  3. New Trial in Circuit Court before a Six-Person Jury: As in #2, a new trial will be held. Although a Circuit Court Judge will preside over the trial, a jury decides if the defendant is guilty.


Appellate Requirements:

  • Within twenty (20) days after the date of the Municipal Court decision, the Defendant must complete and file with the Hobart/Lawrence Municipal Court a Notice of Appeal.  This form can be obtained from the Hobart/Lawrence Municipal Court.

  • The Defendant must deposit the total fine/forfeiture with the Hobart/Lawrence Municipal Court or sign a bond in that amount.  If you are unable to post the required bond and appeal fees, you may request a poverty hearing before the Hobart/Lawrence Municipal Court within twenty (20) days after the date of the court’s decision.

  • The Defendant must prepay the appellate filing fees.